Good Day/ Bad Day

Today we went to the doctor’s office for Master, to discuss his high glucose.  The Dr. says that he is .2 over the diabetic line, which makes him a diabetic now.  Master and me were both really, really upset about this, it was really just so disheartening to hear, especially since all together Master has lost 138 pounds since I met him.  He is trying so hard.  He has stopped a lot of things which were really bad for him, like regular soda.  He drinks only three cans of diet soda per day now, and when I met him he was drinking an entire two liter of regular (full sugar) soda per day.   When I met him he couldn’t bear to do any kind of cardiovascular exercise, and now he is so active I can barely keep up with him some days.  I’m so proud of him!

I asked the Dr. why he is diabetic now after he has lost so much weight and gotten so active.  She said that really, when he was at his highest weight (322 pounds) his pancreas was really stressed, and the fact that he has lost so much weight is wonderful, but it is likely that his pancreas is still recovering and is still under too much stress.  She wants him to lose another ten pounds and we have plans to go back and see her again in three months.

To me, this is so scary.  That one person can do so much to change their life, and still get a disease that is so life-changing is so upsetting.  I always thought Master was invincible, but I guess not.  He is not letting this get him down though, he is going to continue working on weight loss just like he was before we went to the doctor’s office today.  He is so active, and we just can’t believe this is happening now.

We talked to the doctor, and she didn’t give us a lot of hope.  She said that once most people get on diabetes medication they give up and don’t care about their health anymore.  She also said that in her whole practice she has only seen one person get off of their medication.  I think Master is going to be #2.  He is such a strong man, and I don’t think I could get him to stop swimming, walking, lifting weights even if I wanted to.  (Which of course, I do not).  She said she’d love for us to prove her wrong, and have Master not need medicine anymore, but she wasn’t counting on it.  >.<  Kind of rude.

Anyway, the good news is he doesn’t need much, just one pill in the mornings, and no insulin.  She did mention that we caught this HELLA early, so if we work at it it is totally medically possible to reverse it.  She just doesn’t think he will bother.

Right now, we’re relaxing indoors waiting until after peek sun times to go outside and swim.  (I’m too delicate to be out in the sun before 3PM.  Even with sun block I burn a lot worse the earlier I go out.)  We’re going to swim though, and not just because Master has diabetes now.  We’re going to swim because it is what we love to do, and we’ve been doing it all week anyway.  It’s 83 degrees in here.  Hot as blazes.

13 thoughts on “Good Day/ Bad Day

1. lostmaverick says:

Well at least your not letting the situation defeat you. If anyone can beat this, its you two. I have my fingers crossed that he will be able to reverse this and get back to full health.

Quick question: If he's able to reverse it, is there a possibility he can relapse even if he stays active? I know diabities is a pretty tricky disease.

From what the doctor tells me, a relapse is really only likely if he gains the weight he lost back, or goes back to drinking alcohol and living on take out and regular soda. So, if we can get him back to full health, and keep the good stuff he is doing going, he'll be OK.

Thanks, Maverick. He's still kind of bummed, so we're spending a lot of time today trying to do some fun things. ^^

2. i hope everything works out in the end for you two and your husband can get off the meds

3. Jessie Beth says:

*nods* Diabetes is difficult.

Gosh, that doc really was a downer eh? Jeesh…

It’s hard, but you both are very dedicated both to your healthy lifestyle and to each other. Yea, sometime it ameazes me how it’s the healthy people who get the shit. My mom smokes a carton a week, and drinks. A lot. And its me with health issues. LOL Granted I have extra weight, but not the point! ;) *hugs both of you* Prove the doc wrong!!

Yeah, she was. Master’s Dad was born with type 1 diabetes though, so we both know a lot about diabetes in general. The hard part is being type 2, and getting it this late in life – AFTER all the healthy eating and exercise changes. Stupid pancreas not keeping up. :( lol. I can’t stand how the people who are the *least* healthy always seem to be OK too.. But then, it’s going to catch up with them eventually. My mom smokes like a chimney, and has no idea why her nails and teeth are yellow, REALLY bright yellow, or why she has glaucoma or high blood pressure. Uh.. Couldn’t have anything to do with the smokes, could it? Ah, well.

4. Am so sorry for you both am sure you can beat this

5. I have heard from several different sources that artificial sugar can be worse for you, even just in respects to diabetes. Try to get him to lower his pop intake even more, and even if it has nothing to do with the artificial sugar, it is a lot of calories that can disappear, easily. I wish him the best.

Hey! ^^ Thanks for the advice. I mentioned this to Master yesterday, and he looked it up online, and found that switching from regular soda to diet gives you a 62% chance of developing diabetes. I think that scared him, because he said he was going to quit the three cans of soda he does a day and opt for green tea. Here's hoping it helps!

6. sanityraines says:

That is certainly terrible news. At least there is hope, however. It only becomes irreversible if you have to do the shots so there’s still time and still hope. I’m thinking of you guys and I know with how devoted you two are towards each other and your lifestyle that you can beat it. My mom is type 2 and with the way she doesn’t take care of herself I fear she will slide into the irreversible stage soon. This really scares me because after the shots its a degenerate disease that will not go away. There is always that chance though so I keep pushing (though it pisses her off LOL). I wish for the best for you two.

Thanks SanityRaines!

I really appreciate your support. I am sure Master can beat this, but I don’t think it will be easy for him. I hope your mom turns herself around as well and starts to take care of herself. :)